In an American survey, top executives of major corporations were asked: What is the most unusual thing you're aware of happening during a job interview?
Here are some of the results:
- One candidate dozed off and started snoring during an interview.
- The candidate told the interviewer that her long-term career goal was to replace him.
- Not only did he ignore the "No Smoking" sign in the interviewer's office, he lit up the wrong end of several filter tip cigarettes.
- The candidate said he was so qualified, if he didn't get the job, it would prove that the company's management was incompetent.
- One interviewee stretched out on the floor to fill out the job application.
- Another interviewee brought her large dog to the interview.
- An interviewee kept herself occupied by chewing bubble gum and constantly blowing bubbles.
- One woman kept giggling throughout a serious interview.
- The candidate wore a Walkman and said she could listen to the interviewer and the music at the same time.
- A balding candidate abruptly excused himself, and returned to the office a few minutes later wearing a hairpiece.
- The job applicant challenged the interviewer to an arm wrestle.
- The applicant asked to see the interviewer's resume to see if the personnel executive was qualified to judge the candidate.
- The applicant refused to sit down and insisted on being interviewed standing up.
- The candidate announced that she hadn't yet eaten lunch, and proceeded to eat a hamburger and french fries in the interviewer's office.
- A man wore a jogging suit to an interview for a position as financial vice-president.
- Without saying a word, the candidate stood up and walked out during the middle of the conversation.
- The candidate said that if he were hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.
- The candidate interrupted to phone his therapist for advice on answering specific interview questions.